Exercising discretion and independent judgement, manages and/or assists with centralized finance/accounting functions directly related to the business of the YMCA.
Depending on experience, areas of responsibility may include but are not limited to accounts payables, payroll, month-end processing and budget preparation.
- Exercising discretion and independent judgement, provides direct oversight to the accounts payable process.
- Receives, verifies for accuracy, make corrections as necessary, codes and processes invoices and expense reports for payment.
- Works with vendors and staff to resolve invoice discrepancies.
- Inputs and maintains vendor data in accounting database.
- Collects required information from vendors to set up ACH payments.
- Voids checks and credits appropriate accounts as needed.
- Files appropriate documentation and maintains accounts payable files including annual purging.
- Monitors and maintains the general ledger and resolves any discrepancies.
- Maintains W-9 information for all vendors and prepares annual 1099 forms for IRS.
- Develops responsive and cooperative relationships with vendors and staff regarding accounts payable/journal entry matters.
- Prepares and submits bank deposits.
- Assumes a lead for the management and upkeep of the accounts payable software including assisting with managing implementation processes for enhancements and upgrades.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the day to day processing of staff payroll and provides backup assistance to the Benefits/Payroll Services Manager as scheduled or needed.
- Composes and remits taxes, garnishment withholdings, retirement and other filings.
- Prepares system for W-2 distribution and year-end duties.
- Documents any discrepancies to maintain a clear record of reconciliation and adjustments.
- Works with current vendors and bank to resolve technical issues.
- In coordination with the Benefits/Payroll Services Manager, assumes a lead role in the management and upkeep of the payroll software including managing implementation processes for enhancement and upgrades. Collaborates with users and provides, input, guidance, training and leadership.
- Performs month-end financial responsibilities including reconciliations of bank accounts and other general ledger account reconciliations to subsidiary schedules without direct oversight and using independent discretion and judgement.
- Monitors the general fund and payroll accounts for stale checks and uses personal judgement to determine the appropriate course of action and disposition of individual items.
- Downloads daily accounting data from membership and program software systems and uploads into the accounting software system. Any variances or discrepancies are analyzed and resolved in all appropriate systems.
- Prepares journal entries to record miscellaneous bank deposits.
- Prepares and records monthly general journal entries.
- Using advanced accounting knowledge, assists with the annual budget process including but not limited to providing administrative support, analyzing branch budgets and providing recommendations to executive management as needed.
- Assists with the preparation of year-end schedules and other tasks related to the year-end audit.
- Completes other special projects as assigned.
- Provides support, guidance and leadership to other staff and acts as a resource for area of responsibility.
- Places training, development and preparing branch staff to be effective in their positions as a priority and provides quality new hire Director training and ongoing mentoring/coaching, documented processes/procedures and training opportunities related to area of responsibility.
- Assists with other Association projects, research or reporting needs as directed.
- Compiles, maintains and submits or distributes external and internal reports.
- Uses creativity and initiative to generate and propose ideas and best practices that keep the operations of the department up to date and efficient. Conducts research as needed.
- Provides back-up assistance to other staff within the administrative office.
- Develops and maintains procedures for job duties.
- Keeps informed of Association policies and procedures, answers internal and external questions.
- Monitors and maintains departmental record systems, files and paperwork.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the databases related to the job functions. Takes initiative to remain up to date on the capabilities of the systems and actively implements into department processes/procedures.
- Maintains flexibility as workloads change throughout the department and assumes responsibilities to support the ongoing success of the YMCA as a whole.
- Receives and carries out instructions.
- Receives and protects confidential information
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance. Participates in evening, weekend, on call and special events as required.
- Performs special projects and other related duties as needed or assigned by management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to converse and express oneself through both written and verbal communication to exchange information with members, program participants and staff on a frequent basis.
- Ability to visually and auditorily observe and assess situations.
- Ability to exhibit initiative, responsibility and flexibility and maintain organization and detail in a changing environment.
- Knowledgeable in accounting, financial and payroll procedures.
- General knowledge and proficient use of a computer and computer programs to include MS Office products including proficient use and experience with spreadsheets.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and handle multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to maintain a high level of detail.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in business or accounting field or equivalent experienceApply Online